Original recipe. Makes 6 servings.
4 cups chopped fresh tomatoes
1 slice onion
4 whole cloves
2 cups chicken broth
2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons white sugar to taste.
- In a stockpot, over medium heat, combine the tomatoes, onion, cloves and chicken broth. Bring to a boil, and gently boil for about 20 minutes to blend all of the flavors.
- Remove from heat and run the mixture through a food mill into a large bowl, or pan.
- Discard any stuff left over in the food mill. In the now empty stockpot, melt the butter over medium heat.
- Stir in the flour to make a roux, cooking until the roux is a medium brown.
- Gradually whisk in a bit of the tomato mixture, so that no lumps form, then stir in the rest.
- Season with sugar and salt, and adjust to taste.
This recipe can be found at http://allrecipes.com/recipe/garden-fresh-tomato-soup/detail.aspx
The video for this recipe can be seen at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFLoNZMgXaY or click on the image.